Are you looking for a new salad to add to your menu? Try this carrot salad if you are looking for a fresh new way to incorporate more carrots into your life – which you should!
This is one of my favourite salads. It is colourful, delicious and easy to make. The sweetness of the carrots, mixed with the tart lime and the heat from the jalapeño are a wonderful combination of flavours. This carrot salad is a game changer and will impress family members and friends.
I think when most people think of carrots they think of baby carrots or carrots peeled and cut into uniform sticks that were put into their lunch bags as a child. According to Dr. Mercola, you should avoid eating those pre-cut “baby” carrots. They aren’t actually baby carrots but less than perfect carrots that have been cut down into a bite-size. That isn’t too bad but they are usually bathed in chlorine to keep on the shelf longer. Ditch the baby carrots and always go for the organic variety. They taste so much better and guarantee to be pesticide free.
Carrots are a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. They can help reduce the signs of aging, are great for your skin health, aid in digestions and help to detoxify the body.
Just 1/2 a cup of this salad will provide you with:
- 210% of the average daily recommended amount of vitamin A
Vitamin A helps with vision, immune health and cell growth.
- 10% of the average daily recommended amount of vitamin K
Vitamin K is crucial for healing wounds and building strong bones.
- 6% of the average daily recommended amount of vitamin C
Vitamin C helps the body repair and regenerate tissue, protects against heart disease, aids in the absorption of iron and helps to reduce LDL cholesterol.
- 2% calcium of the daily recommended amount of calcium
Calcium not only aids in the building of healthy bones but it also helps the heart, muscles and nerves to function properly.
This carrot salad not only takes good but is serious nutrients for your body.
Here’s the recipe…
Carrot Salad with Jalapeño and Lime
8 medium organic carrots
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup of fresh lime juice
1 medium jalapeno, cored, seeded and minced (optional)
1/2 cup of fresh, cleaned, dried and chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper
1. Peel the carrots and grate either using a hand grater or a food processor fitted with the small grating attachment (my preferred method). Once carrots are grated, place them in a serving bowl.
Zesty Lime Dressing
2. In a glass container with a lid, place the oil, lime juice, jalapeño, salt and pepper (to taste). Tightly close the container and shake it vigorously 10-20 seconds to emulsify the ingredients.
3. Pour the dressing over the carrots and add the chopped cilantro. Gently toss and season to taste. Add extra cilantro leaves for garnish.
4. Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
Simple, delicious and ready for you to try! Add it to your dinner plan this week and let me know what you think?