These Kiwi Banana Stacks are a favorite treat in our house. The name does not do them justice because these bites are absolutely delicious. The sweetness from the date and coconut “icing” mixes perfectly with the tart kiwi and smooth texture of banana.
If you think this sounds familiar, you’ve probably come across my recipe for A Healthy Birthday Cake? which is where these little Kiwi Banana Stacks were inspired from. These stacks are just a quicker, scaled down version of the cake.
I’ll sometimes make them on a weekend or for dessert if we are having friends or family over. You can even make the “icing” ahead of time (storing it in an airtight container in the fridge) and then put together the Kiwi Banana Stacks when needed.
These would also be great served at a birthday party, play date or picnic paired with:
You can also just layer all the ingredients in a bowl and dig in!
Give them a try with your family and let me know what you think!
Kiwi Banana Stacks
Serves 5 (2 stacks per person)
6 Medjool dates, pitted
6 tablespoon of water
1/2 cup desiccated, organic coconut
1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1-2 bananas, cut into thin slices
2-3 kiwis, peeled and cut into thin slices
10 toothpicks (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of water
- Place the dates and 2 tablespoons of water into an immersion blender cup and pulse until the dates become a soft paste.
- Add the coconut and vanilla
- Pulse until the mixture takes the consistency of icing. Add 4 tablespoons of water, as needed (may need to add more or less depending on texture).
- Start making the stack by taking a slice of kiwi, adding 1 teaspoon of date mixture on top, 1 slice of banana, another teaspoon of date mixture and top with another slice of kiwi (may need to secure stacks with toothpicks)
- Place on serving plate.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
- Serve immediately as a snack or tasty treat after a meal.